Multi-award winning media company, UKTV, whose mantra is to ‘Imagine more’, has completely overhauled its technology infrastructure. The ambitious brief was to install new leading edge technology to ‘drive a culture of innovation’ in their brand new inspirational and distinctive office space at 10 Hammersmith Grove.
The company’s new technology structure was devised by UKTV Head of Operations & Technology, Tim Goff and Director of Operations, Technology & Innovation Ben Hine. The aim is to drive innovation and collaboration by releasing staff from their workstations, delivering all software to any device and location, whist providing employees with maximum flexibility. A further driver has been to allow the company to make a radical shift away from content on physical drives.
The new system has been installed and will continue to be supported by CircleIT.
Tim Goff: “Our leading edge technology has been designed to help us realise UKTV's creative ambitions and to complement our brilliant company culture. The new technology equips the business with all the tools it needs to realise its ambitious growth plan, and stay at the front of the British media industry".
Ben Hine: “I’m proud to say our new mobile technology structure is now by far the most advanced of any broadcaster. What we have achieved is amazing, with mobility at the absolute core."
“The combination of this mobile technology and the new office space, which includes inviting and inspirational working hubs for groups, will give everyone at UKTV the freedom to work creatively and collaboratively.”
• Flexible, mobile and multi-platform approach to give the best working environment
• Re-evaluation on the rules of what is 'business' software. If the software is going to provide an improved working environment then we are happy to supply it no matter what it is.
• The latest enterprise Wifi technology (802.11ac) running at 1Gbs allows all employees to work anywhere in the building or on the terrace. Cat 6 wired connections also available for those that need the bandwidth.
• The move of all applications and data to the cloud alongside mobile delivery using thin client technologies and Office 365 which has incorporated a full Sharepoint implementation.
• Traditional phones were replaced with the Microsoft Lync enterprise voice solution providing a full collaborative suite, allowing the user greater mobility and freedom.
• The introduction of a Digital IPTV system used to stream TV, act as a cloud based PVR, and as a tool to ingest, rough edit and distribute screening and other internal materials.
• To help the move to paperless wireless sharing in meeting rooms using Apple TV and WiDi wireless presenting technology.
The news of UKTV’s new office opening comes at a time when the media company is enjoying record growth, with commercial share now at a record 9.1%, year on year. It is currently the fastest growing commercial broadcaster in Britain.
The network reaches over 42 million viewers a month and has a raft of exciting new content in the pipeline that viewers will be able to enjoy on its linear channels and via the newly launched digital-only service UKTV Play. Brand new commissions announced this year include Storage Hunters UK, Hoff the Record and returning series Crackanory and David Attenborough’s Natural Curiosities, as well as top American acquisitions Resurrection and The Strain.
UKTV’s network of 10 channels span both the free-to-air and pay TV space and are available through Freeview, Sky, Virgin Media, BT, TalkTalk, YouView, plus direct On Demand digital services. Within the last few weeks UKTV has launched its new digital only service and first non-linear brand, UKTV Play which will offer previews of original commissions and acquisitions.