Founded in Boulder, Colo. in 2010, Sphero is a technology company utilizing play as a powerful teacher to inspire STEAM principles through its app-enabled line of products. Since the launch of their iconic BB-8 droid, Sphero has created robotic toys for some of the largest entertainment brands in the world, including Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar while also engaging kids worldwide with their presence in over 20,000 schools.
Prior to deploying Rubrik, Sphero lacked a comprehensive data protection solution and relied solely on network storage devices and disk—there were no physical backups and no disaster recovery plan. When JD Snodgrass joined Sphero as IT Manager and surveyed the situation, he knew that the company needed to quickly adopt a modern data protection strategy.
When Sphero turned to Rubrik, the company was in the process of migrating its environment to Nutanix AHV and required a reliable backup and recovery solution that would seamlessly integrate with its new Nutanix environment. Sphero leveraged Rubrik’s native support for Nutanix AHV backup and recovery to streamline the backup process and provide end-to-end data management.
After deploying the integrated Rubrik and Nutanix solution, Sphero has achieved:
- Modern and Simplified Cloud Data Management: When Nutanix AHV and Prism are combined with Rubrik’s modern data management and backup capabilities, customers like Sphero can realize a highly available solution with robust disaster recovery capabilities.
- Reliable and Automated Backups: With Rubrik’s unique policy-driven approach, Sphero now spends only a few minutes per week monitoring backups, so the IT team can focus on innovation instead of maintenance.
- Fast File Level Restores and Near-Instant Recovery: Rubrik delivers near-instant data and recovery access, enabling Sphero to quickly and confidently restore production sites at any time. With Rubrik’s simple and intuitive search capabilities, granular restores are completed in under 15 minutes.
- Data Archival to AWS S3: With Rubrik, Sphero can benefit from the scalability and cost savings offered by the public cloud by easily archiving to AWS.
- Hypervisor Agnostic Access to Rubrik: Sphero can access Rubrik’s core capabilities such as global search, erasure coding, on-demand reporting, and end-to-end data management for all applications running on Nutanix, regardless of the hypervisor.